The Department of the Theory of Music
Founded in January 2015, the Department of the Theory of Music succeded the Section of the Theory of Music (1993–2014), formed and chaired by dr Janina Tatarska within the then Department of Composition and Theory of Music. Now part of the Faculty of Composition, Conducting, Theory of Music and Eurhythmics, the Department integrates music theoreticians, musicologists, historians and music psychologists.
Its objectives include:
- initiating and performing research works related with the development of the theory of music
- supervising the staff’s own research
- providing the staff with assistance in their promotion
- organizing academic and methodological conferences, symposia, workshops and lectures
- supervising and contributing to the faculty academic annual “De musica commentarii”
- supervising our students’ academic activity, including approval and opinions on subjects of master and bachelor theses, and assistance in organizing student academic sessions
- solving current problems related with academic and teaching activity pursued by the staff.
The staff demonstrate particular interest in music of the 19th, 20th and 21st centuries. Research concerns mainly Polish music, with special focus on the musical culture of Poznań, including the history and present of the composing milieu and its output. Studies refer to issues related to history, philosophy, psychology, aesthetics, and theory of music.
The Department is currently involved in the following research programmes:
- Studies of Polish chamber music of the 19th century
- Operas written by Polish composers of the “X generation”
- Works by Franz Xaver Scharwenka in the perspective of Polish and German musical culture
- Success predictors in ear training
- Piano works of Polish composers: ideas, concepts, interpretations
- Documentation of Feliks Nowowiejski’s life and works.
prof. dr hab. Hanna Kostrzewska – Chair
dr Janina Tatarska, prof. AM – Deputy Chair
dr Halina Lorkowska, Academic Professor
dr Mikołaj Rykowski, Assistant Professor
dr Ewa Rzanna-Szczepaniak, Assistant Professor
dr Małgorzata Sierszeńska-Leraczyk, Assistant Professor
dr Julia Gołębiowska, Assistant Lecturer
mgr Bogna Barańska, Assistant Lecturer
mgr Maria Majewska, Assistant Lecturer
mgr Małgorzata Pawłowska, Lecturer