The Department of Wind Instruments and Accordion
The Department of Wind Instruments and Accordion commenced its activity in 1958. The first Chair, prof. Józef Madeja (clarinetist), was succeeded by doc. Franciszek Langner (flutist), prof. Mieczysław Koczorowski (oboist) and prof. Zdzisław Nowak (clarinetist). Since 2002 the Department has been chaired by prof. Roman Gryń (trumpeter).
The accordion class was founded within the Department by Henryk Krzemiński in 1973, and the saxophone class in 2002.
In the recent years the Department has organized more than a dozen competitions for the posts of assistant lecturers and assistant professors. Consequently, the teaching staff expanded, featuring most eminent musicians. The Department is now composed of 27 teachers who are also members of philharmony and opera orchestras concertizing all over Europe, chamber musicians collaborating with world-famous artists, and soloists recording for the leading record labels. They also sit on competition juries at home and abroad, and contribute to international research projects.
The Department spares no effort to offer our students opportunities to participate in master classes led by such recognized instrumentalists as Patrick Gallois, Henrik Svitzer, Nicola Mazzanti, Maurice Bourgue, Christoph Hartmann, Marino Bedetti, Julian Bliss, Jean-Marc Fessard, Florent Heau, Jan Schulte Bunert, Lars Mlekusch, Radek Knop, Richard Giangiulio, Konradin Groth, Markus Wuersch, Gabriele Cassone, Jamie Williams, Teunis Van Der Zwart, Jindrich Petras, Alexander Dmitriev and Yuri Shishkin. Intense work of our teachers and students has been crowned by numerous awards and honourable mentions at national and international music competitions.
The Department is also responsible for organizing courses, workshops, seminars, competitions and concerts in and outside the Academy.